Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Pain to help us remember


It has been just over a year and I thought perhaps it was best to remember what I was doing last year.
In April of 2007 our family was on the receiving end of a miracle. Actually it wasn't just one miracle. Perhaps a number of them in which I don't think that I'll try and number. I was in Utah helping my youngest son, Brig, recover from a motorcycle accident in which he should have died. Going 50 ish, at night, on a motorcycle without a helmet, and then having a car turn in front of you doesn't give you good odds at surviving.
He called me the day following his accident with, as he described "good news." He proceeded to tell me that he would not be riding his motorcycle home for the summer. Logical question that I posed was "Did you sell it?" After a long pause his response was something to the tune of "not exactly." After which I discovered he had been in a serious accident. He had called me first so that I might buffer the news to his mother. Sometimes children do not understand that holding back information is worse then letting all of it come out at one time. He was still in the hospital and was scheduled for surgery the following week. I made plans to go out and help him get around and also to help him finish the semester at Utah Valley State College(UVSC).
I have been blessed with wonderful children. I have come to realize as a parent that sometimes we must sit back and let things happen. We can not fix everything. We can't make things go away. Brig was our adventurer, he is the one who has shown little to no fear. He has ridden bulls and jumped out of airplanes. He just survived a horrific crash. He had surgery- one knee was totally blown and needed extensive repair. His left hand was broken in 4 different places.
Since last April he has recovered somewhat from his experience. He has learned some as well. We thought that he was doing very well as he went to a family reunion and was able to play football with us 4 months after his surgery. A 20 year old young adult doesn't necessarily let others know of discomfort that they are feeling. As a parent I have thought that sometimes a little lingering pain would help one to remember that we are all human, that our bodies do break, and healing can be a long process. Brig is now Elder French serving the Savior in the Las Vegas Nevada Spanish speaking mission. He has been out there for 6 months. His Spanish vocabulary continues to grow. His love for those he serves continues to grow. His knee is hurting him somewhat (somewhat because I'm not sure to what extent it is hurting him.) I can't take away the pain but he is in my thoughts and prayers....always...jsf

No comments: